Dr. Heather McCauley is an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Work at Michigan State University. Prior to MSU, she was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. A scholar trained in global health and social epidemiology at Harvard University, Dr. McCauley’s research portfolio spans sexual violence prevention and response, intimate partner violence, reproductive coercion, and sex trafficking. Her current and emerging projects focus on perceptions of justice among survivors, the intersection of sexual violence and sport, and shifting institutional climate to reduce sexual violence and harassment. She has authored or co-authored 75 journal articles and book chapters on these topics in outlets spanning a variety of health and social science disciplines. Nationally, she is Associate Editor of the multidisciplinary research journal Psychology of Violence and serves on the Editorial Board of Journal of Family Violence. Dr. McCauley is a grant reviewer for the National Institute of Justice, DOJ’s Office on Violence Against Women, and the National Institutes of Health. Dr. McCauley is a Trustee on the Board of Trustees at St. Lawrence University, where she serves as Vice-Chair of Academic Affairs.
- McCauley HL, Bonomi AE, Maas MK, Bogen KW, O’Malley T. (2018). #MaybeHeDoesntHitYou: Social Media Underscore the Realities of Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Women’s Health. 22 March 2018, epub ahead of print
- Coulter RWS, Mair CF, Miller E, Blosnich J, Matthews D, McCauley HL. (2017). Prevalence of past-year sexual assault victimization among undergraduate students: Exploring differences by and intersections of gender identity, sexual identity, and race/ethnicity. Prevention Science. 18(6): 726-736.
- McCauley HL, Silverman JG, Jones KA, Tancredi DJ, Decker MR, McCormick MC, Austin SB, Anderson HA, Miller E. (2016). Psychometric Properties and Refinement of the Reproductive Coercion Scale. Contraception. 95(3): 292-298.
- McCauley HL, Silverman JG, Decker MR, Agénor M, Borrero S, Tancredi DJ, Zelazny S, Miller E. (2015). Sexual and reproductive health indicators and intimate partner violence victimization among female family planning clinic patients who have sex with women and men. Journal of Women’s Health. 24(8): 621-8.
- McCauley HL, Dick R, Tancredi DJ, Goldstein S, Blackburn S, Silverman JG, Monasterio E, James L, Miller E. (2014). Differences by sexual minority status in relationship abuse and sexual and reproductive health among adolescent females. Journal of Adolescent Health. 55(5): 652-8.
- McCauley HL, Tancredi DJ, Silverman JG, Decker MR, Austin SB, McCormick M, Virata MC, Miller E. (2013). Gender-Equitable Attitudes, Bystander Behavior, and Recent Abuse Perpetration Against Heterosexual Dating Partners of Male High School Athletes. American Journal of Public Health. 103(10): 1882-1887.