Dr. Heather McCauley is an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Work at Michigan State University. A scholar trained in global health and social epidemiology at Harvard University, Dr. McCauley’s research portfolio spans sexual violence, intimate partner violence, reproductive coercion, and sex trafficking, with emphasis on populations experiencing marginalization (e.g. sexual and gender minorities). Her current and emerging projects focus on shaping gender attitudes among youth, the intersection of sexual violence and sport, and shifting institutional climate to reduce sexual violence and harassment. She has authored or co-authored 80 journal articles and book chapters on these topics in outlets spanning a variety of health and social science disciplines. In Michigan, she serves as Research Director for the Public Will Campaign to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse, which is a collaboration between the Traverse Bay Children’s Advocacy Center and Michigan State University. Nationally, she is Associate Editor of the multidisciplinary research journal Psychology of Violence and serves on the Editorial Board of Journal of Family Violence. Dr. McCauley is a grant reviewer for the National Institute of Justice and the National Institutes of Health. Dr. McCauley is a Trustee on the Board of Trustees at St. Lawrence University, where she serves as Chair of Academic Affairs.
- McCauley HL, Jones KA, Rofey DL, Reid TA, Miller E, Coulter RWS. (2020). Sexual Assault, Alcohol Use, and Gender of Sexual Partners among Cisgender Women Seeking Care at US College Health Centers, 2015- 2018. American Journal of Public Health. 16 April 2020, Advance Online Publication
- McCauley HL, Campbell R, Buchanan NT, Moylan CA. (2019). Advancing Theory, Methods, and Dissemination in Sexual Violence Research to Build a More Equitable Future: An Intersectional, Community-Engaged Approach. Violence Against Women. 25(16): 1906-1931.
- PettyJohn ME, Muzzey FK, Maas MK, McCauley HL. (2019). #HowIWillChange: Engaging Men and Boys in the #MeToo Movement. Psychology of Men & Masculinity. 20(4): 612-622
- McCauley HL, Bonomi AE, Maas MK, Bogen KW, O’Malley T. (2018). #MaybeHeDoesntHitYou: Social Media Underscore the Realities of Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Women’s Health. 22 March 2018, epub ahead of print
- Coulter RWS, Mair CF, Miller E, Blosnich J, Matthews D, McCauley HL. (2017). Prevalence of past-year sexual assault victimization among undergraduate students: Exploring differences by and intersections of gender identity, sexual identity, and race/ethnicity. Prevention Science. 18(6): 726-736.
- McCauley HL, Silverman JG, Jones KA, Tancredi DJ, Decker MR, McCormick MC, Austin SB, Anderson HA, Miller E. (2016). Psychometric Properties and Refinement of the Reproductive Coercion Scale. Contraception. 95(3): 292-298.
- McCauley HL, Silverman JG, Decker MR, Agénor M, Borrero S, Tancredi DJ, Zelazny S, Miller E. (2015). Sexual and reproductive health indicators and intimate partner violence victimization among female family planning clinic patients who have sex with women and men. Journal of Women’s Health. 24(8): 621-8.